Monday, September 12, 2005

OFFICIAL PR stunt of CollegeBoard



To Whom It May Concern:

Not to be T-Totally offensive right off the bat. But THE LAST ticket to work is writing. Society is highly geared toward calculation or formulaic measure of someone's subjective abilities. (aka being graded by "trained" readers on the writing portions of standardized tests...BAH..what a load of...)

Riting: Ticket to work?
If I apply for a marketing position that requires both technical skills and writing skills--where:

Applicant A: Has great technical skills and no writing abilities.
Applicant Me: Has some technical skills and great writing abilities.

Applicant A WILL get the job. Please do not ask if I know this because of an isolated incident in my own life. The last time I checked, educated guesses were allowed.

So, I agree that there should be a writing revolution. But starting a writing revolution with the crazy, overused three "R"s thing--is a little over the top. Especially since we all know that the common spelling of "writing" WRITTEN doesn't start with the R sound, but with the silent W.

Actually, I see this as nothing more than a PR stunt so that the masses will stay quiet about whatever new educational fad "College Board" bullies onto us. And though, overall, I suppose College Board has done great things to monopolize education to the point of setting some lucrative corporate standard--THIS particular effort wreaks of flippancy and inefficiency.

It doesn't do any good to raise the Riting bar so that students can succeed in college--because there is a whole 2-3 generations of professors who can't write either. I know this is a sweeping generalization, but I swear it holds water when I have sat in a class under the tutelage of a DR. So-in-So who can't write but somehow managed to pass his boards.

In the spirit of democracy and with all due respect, my relationship with College Board is definitely one of love/hate. In order to make it through the educational system, I had to saddle my bags with you and go along for the ride whether I wanted to or not.

Sincerely,
Anna Mason